There has been a recent increase in data breaches over a couple of years. The FBI reported that there are between 3000-4000 cybersecurity complaints daily. Most people assume that these breaches are due to being hacked by criminals, however, 46% of these breaches are caused by human error. These attacks can be costly and prevented with the proper security.
Some Ways To Keep Your Organization’s Data Safe…
- Identify the data that is sensitive and create a data security policy to protect it. Make sure to keep the policy current and that you are complying with regulations such as HIPAA and GDPR.
- Proper training on how to protect data is imperative for all employees. Data breaches typically occur when employees become careless and do things such as leave documents unattended on a copier, open emails from unknown sources, or download client information to a USB drive.
- Secure all printers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines by enforcing user authentication. Permissions on who has access to such devices should be closely monitored.
- Data encryption for all data that remains on a print device’s hard drive is imperative.
- Expedite software and firmware updates on printers and MFP’s.
- Make sure you have a firewall in place to protect all network devices and that it is activated.
- Printers should make you verify their boot code, operating system, and applications before starting up.
- Printers or MFP should integrate into a SIEM system. Managing it and staying on top of any security alerts is very important.
- Make sure you have a response plan in place if a breach does occur. How will you contact anyone affected by the breach, how will you recover any lost data, and how will you regain the trust of any clients?
Waltz Can Help You Secure Your Office Technology
Any device, user, and business that connects to the internet are at risk for cyberattacks. Having the right technology and security plan can save your business a lot of time and money. Our solutions provide uncompromised security with five layers of security, including transmission security, system security, data security and application security. We ensure proper procedures are carried out by automating and tracking compliance processes. We protect data physically and electronically with controlled access and 24/7 system monitoring.
About Waltz Business Solutions
“If your document haltz… Call Waltz!” Waltz Business Solutions offers copying, printing, faxing and document storage solutions from the best in the industry – Kyocera, Hewlett Packard, and Samsung.
> Learn More