Data breaches are on the rise year after year. Sometimes it’s hard not to hear about the latest ransomware attack or a massive amount of leaked account data. And according to the FBI there are between 3000-4000 cybersecurity complaints daily.
Most people would assume that these breaches are committed by criminals, however, 46% of these breaches are caused by human error. These attacks can be costly both financially and to your company’s reputation.
They can also be prevented with proper security protocols and a security-first culture. Here are some strategies you can implement in your company to keep your data safe.
- Identify the data that is sensitive and create a data security policy to protect it. Make sure to keep the policy current and that you are complying with regulations such as HIPAA and GDPR.
- Proper training on how to protect data is imperative for all employees. Data breaches typically occur when employees become careless and do things such as leave documents unattended on a copier, open emails from unknown sources, or download client information to a USB drive.
- Secure all printers, copiers, scanners, and fax machines by enforcing user authentication. Permissions on who has access to such devices should be closely monitored.
- Data encryption for all data that remains on a print device’s hard drive is imperative.
- Expedite software and firmware updates on printers and MFPs.
- Make sure you have a firewall in place to protect all network devices and that it is activated.
- Printers should make you verify their boot code, operating system, and applications before starting up.
- Printers or MFP should integrate into a SIEM system. Managing it and staying on top of any security alerts is very important.
- Make sure you have a response plan in place if a breach does occur. How will you contact anyone affected by the breach, how will you recover any lost data, and how will you regain the trust of any clients?
Waltz Can Help You Secure Your Office Technology
Any device, user, or business that connects to the internet is at risk of cyberattack. Having the right technology and security plan can save your business a lot of time and money.
Our document solutions provide five layers of uncompromised security including transmission security, system security, data security, and application security.
We ensure proper procedures are carried out by automating and tracking compliance processes. We protect data physically and electronically with controlled access and 24/7 system monitoring. Contact us today to learn more!